CP Church History
Often when people hear the words “Cumberland Presbyterian Church” they are usually hearing them for the first time. So before we get into the details of our specific church history, we believe it is important to tell the story of our denomination. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church had its beginning as a frontier movement in America. It was born out of the Great Revival of 1800 in Kentucky and Tennessee. Three Presbyterian ministers — Finis Ewing, Samuel King and Samuel McAdoo — organized a new presbytery called Cumberland Presbytery, and after a night of praying, on February 4, 1810, near Dickson, Tennessee, a new denomination was born. Cumberland Presbyterian is known for its “middle” theology and for emphasizing a “whosoever will may come” gospel.
Brush Hill Church History
Brush Hill Church was first organized on May 5, 1872 in the Edgefield section of East Nashville. The Brush Hill Cumberland Presbyterian Church has been serving God and community at its present location since 1963 when it was relocated from Edgefield to the Inglewood area of East Nashville. It was a difficult decision for the church to move from its storied location, but the direction God placed on the hearts of the church leaders far outweighed any reservations. Like the first Cumberland Presbyterians, it was time for the church to begin a new ministry in the “frontier” Inglewood.
Today, the Brush Hill Church “family” is still involved in ministries in the community. We are still actively reaching out to the immediate area; we still have the same God-given burden that our leaders had years ago to faithfully serve the people of Inglewood and beyond. We pray that the work of our hands continues to be blessed by God as we strive to build people up within our doors so they might go out to love God and love others.